EvoKE 2019 will take place from 26th to 29th September 2019 in Split, Croatia.
During these days, our community will meet to learn, collaborate and develop creative and effective education and outreach projects. For that we are preparing workshop sessions around five major topics:
- common misconceptions in evolution and how to deal with them;
- personal communication: training in body language and persuasive communication, concluding with a script/screenplay of a short evolutionary stand-up performance;
- how to communicate effectively with media, and how to engage journalists with evolutionary biology work and messages;
- how to organize an outreach event: identifying needs, finding partners and funders, planning actions and engaging with the public;
- how to evaluate the impact of an outreach event and use this information to improve it;
- producing and evaluating educational activities in evolution for different age groups.
For each of these topics we would like to have 2 distinct formats:
- a short format with 3 hours for people that want to explore new skills on a given field;
- a long format workshop which will last a total of 12 hours and aim to produce deliverables (such as outreach event projects, press releases, journalistic pieces, activity guides and papers) to be published, distributed and used by the participants and the community.
If you would like to organize and lead one of these events, please send us your proposal until February 28th to the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. This proposal should have no more than 1 page and include the following information:
– Name of the event;
– Name(s), contact(s) and affiliation(s) of the proponent(s);
– Maximum number of participants that can attend the event (please be advised that the minimal number is fixed to 20);
– Short description of the event goals and program;
– What skills are participants expected to learn and what deliverables (in the case of the long format) are they expected to produce by the end of the event;
– What resources will be needed to organize the event (please list here the materials, equipment, and facilities needed as well as other expenses you anticipated you will have).
The organizing team may ask proponents of proposals for workshops on similar topics to collaborate to organize a single workshop.