If you are attending EvoKE 2023, register at this extra workshop and learn how to reach and work with policy decision makers and how to identify, select and provide them evidence to build science based policies.
Date: 6th July 2023, University of Bath: from 9am to 5 pm (7 hours)
Fronika de Wit, Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal; PlanAPP.
Susana Sobral, PlanAPP.
This workshop aims to contribute to bringing Science and Public Policies closer to the construction of evidence-informed policies. The workshop is in line with the European strategy of the Joint Research Centre (of the European Commission) and is part of a set of actions that are being developed in the Member states.
This workshop aims to contribute to bringing Science and Public Policies closer to the construction of evidence-informed policies. The workshop is in line with the European strategy of the Joint Research Centre (of the European Commission) and is part of a set of actions that are being developed in the Member states. This capacities’ development workshop aims to foster the development of the participants’ reflective, interpersonal and communication skills that empower them to identify, select and provide evidence to policy decision makers and to evaluate the effects of their actions.
Workshop price: 20 EUR
This price includes the workshop attendance and materials and a certificate in the end.
Note that the workshop will be self-catering (a University coffee shop and supermarket are within 1 minute’s walk of the venue).
Module 1 – How to build bridges between researchers and policy decision makers?
– Why are science inputs not always eared?
– What do researchers and policy decision makers know about each other?
– What meaning do they give to “evidence”?
– Communicating uncertainties: what approaches to be used?
Module 2 – What strategies to impact?
Exercise: How to call policy decision makers attention?
- How to create networking opportunities?
- How to plan: where, when, how, to whom, what?
Module 3 – Communication Skills
Exercise: Speed dating
– How to interact with diferente policy decision makers?
– How to create a narrative?
– What is the key message?
– Sequencing, prioritize, structure
Exercise: Audience analisys
– How to communicate with a differentiated audience?
– What elements for a good pitch?